Stephen King. He’s not everyone’s cup of tea, I’ll just say that right off the bat. But, Mr. King is a really good writer. He knows how to tell a story and get his reader hooked—no matter how weird his story line goes. I think that Mr. King’s plan; get you hooked to the characters, so that when the story line goes off key you’re still going to read it, no matter how unrealistic the story line may be.
I recently read The Green Mile. No, I haven’t seen the movie; I think I’m the only one too. But, the book was really good. Mr. King has a way of presenting his characters in way that makes you see them as real people. He makes his characters as human as he can. You understand how that character feels or even acts under the situations they encounter. He writes about real people who face real everyday things in life…but he throws in several sci-fi story elements to spice up their lives. Like this story, a normal guy working his job, a job he may not be fully happy with but someone has to do it, until one day by chance, fate, or destiny? Someone new enters the scene and changes everything he holds to be true.
I’d already been a fan of Mr. King’s work before The Green Mile; when I starting reading Desperation which follows a family on a vacation gone wrong. King of course throws in your sci-fi plot twist to keep you reading. Ask yourself, when put under the right "life stressors", what would you do?
Under the Dome is another thriller and will probably have you biting your nails till the end. It’s your typical story of good vs. evil, but with a sci-fi twist. Once again, Mr. King brings life to his characters in this story so that you want to finish the story and you find yourself rooting for the good guy. Mr. King takes a small community/town and shows what might just happen to people when they’ve been put under unusual circumstances and stress.
Salem’s Lot also plays with small town life. If you were a fan of Dracula, you’ll definitely like this book—this is not Twilight vampires. But, what makes Mr. King’s stories good or worth reading isn’t the weird sci-fi story lines (yeah they make for interesting plot) it’s how he can mold his characters into real people you care about and how they end up. He takes what makes humans human and puts them to the test under the unusual circumstances they may encounter in their everyday life. Would you crumble under pressure and go against everything you know to be wrong, or would sacrifice your life or the life others to do what is right at the end of the day? That’s what I end up thinking as I read his stories. How would I act? Would I have acted like that character or that one? What would I have done differently to avoid those situations? What would any of us do, if we were put under any of those situations? That’s the real question, what would mankind do, if given the chance to face those life changing moments? Would we disappoint ourselves or make ourselves proud? So, if you ever want to try something new, give Stephen King a try. His movies are okay, but so far his books are way better.

I’d already been a fan of Mr. King’s work before The Green Mile; when I starting reading Desperation which follows a family on a vacation gone wrong. King of course throws in your sci-fi plot twist to keep you reading. Ask yourself, when put under the right "life stressors", what would you do?
Under the Dome is another thriller and will probably have you biting your nails till the end. It’s your typical story of good vs. evil, but with a sci-fi twist. Once again, Mr. King brings life to his characters in this story so that you want to finish the story and you find yourself rooting for the good guy. Mr. King takes a small community/town and shows what might just happen to people when they’ve been put under unusual circumstances and stress.
Salem’s Lot also plays with small town life. If you were a fan of Dracula, you’ll definitely like this book—this is not Twilight vampires. But, what makes Mr. King’s stories good or worth reading isn’t the weird sci-fi story lines (yeah they make for interesting plot) it’s how he can mold his characters into real people you care about and how they end up. He takes what makes humans human and puts them to the test under the unusual circumstances they may encounter in their everyday life. Would you crumble under pressure and go against everything you know to be wrong, or would sacrifice your life or the life others to do what is right at the end of the day? That’s what I end up thinking as I read his stories. How would I act? Would I have acted like that character or that one? What would I have done differently to avoid those situations? What would any of us do, if we were put under any of those situations? That’s the real question, what would mankind do, if given the chance to face those life changing moments? Would we disappoint ourselves or make ourselves proud? So, if you ever want to try something new, give Stephen King a try. His movies are okay, but so far his books are way better.
No comments:
Post a Comment