Sunday, January 23, 2011

Kate DiCamillo: The Talke of Despereaux & The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

Kate DiCamillo. I'll admit when I heard her name surface, I was a little skeptical about her writing. I'm a huge Harry Potter, Jane Austen, Shakespeare, and Judy Blume fan. So, I find my tastes for reading can be really picky or when it comes to reading, I sometimes judge quickly about authors before giving them a chance. What I lack when it comes to judging other people, I do when it comes to reading. I've recently learned that I need to give all authors a chance. But, back to this DiCamillo character. I heard about her, due to her book made into a movie, The Tale of Despereaux. I was already making assumptions, for some reason, I had this idea that all authors who let the movie industry make their books into movies are schmucks!!! I've changed that idea, now I look it at as a way for authors to bring their love for writing and even reading to people in format they enjoy just as much as their writing. My teacher mind, sees now that to get people to read, you've got to entice them. What better way than a movie? So I was skeptical about the movie, but I watched it. I found myself enjoying it, not because of the cute little mouse, but the story itself wasn't a bad one. Who doesn't love an underdog becoming a hero and wins the girls at the end story??!!! I also picked up the book, decided to give it a try. I was pleased, this was YAL literature (Young Adult Literature), but it played with some grown up ideas and emotions. No wonder children and young adults liked the story and movie so much. This story captivates what I think all people secretly want, love and to be loved back. You may think, reality isn't like that, no one finds that kind of happiness, but how do you honestly know??!! Think about that.
     I was really pleased with Ms. DiCamillo, so I decided to give her another chance. I just read, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, and I found it just as charming, if not better then the story of Despereaux. Here is a story that really gives way to how love and life sometimes have a way of not going the way we plan. How one has to choose to live a life with love or without love, despite the hurt that comes with love. The themes that run across this book are very real to life and it makes you wonder, what do young minds think as they read this piece of literature. It doesn't surprise me, that Ms. DiCamillo is highly looked upon as an author. Her audience may be for young readers, but her work is for all ages to enjoy. If you haven't read something by her yet, give her a try. It's very light reading, that leaves you feeling happy and at peace. 

                          

No comments:

Post a Comment