Sunday, April 3, 2011

Never Let Me Go, If I Stay, Living Dead Girl

     The following books are little on the dark side. I'm not talking about horror or suspenseful but dark in the sense that it deals with the unfairness that sometimes happens in life, the reality that sometimes our destines our way out of our control and understanding, that one minute you may be trucking along happily until you've found yourself in heap of dog poop. I first want to mention Ian McEwans' Atonement only because the book I'm going to mention played with many of the same themes that Atonement did. Another book made into a movie, as you're watching the previews you think--another love story where war and social class is going to keep these two lovers apart--but this is story that goes beyond that. This is a real  life love story, about how sometimes the human mind can overreact and prejudge others based on appearances and because it's simply easier to believe the obvious. I don't want to give too much away, in case any of my readers haven't read it, I don't want to spoil it. But, do know that you won't find the happy ending you're looking for or want; just like in Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. This doesn't feel like a love story at the beginning, but it is. It reminded me so much of Atonement as I read it. How a few small actions panned out the paths for these individuals to follow or go down. It has it's sci-fi feel to it, because it plays with the concept of cloning people for the use of other people. Never Let Me Go starts slow as it introduces you to the characters and the plot, but you can't help becoming intrigued by these people's future, will they get their chance of happiness? I think this has been made into a movie as well, so if you want something a little darker but in the romance field try this book or movie. I have not seen the movie, so I don't know if it follows the book as well.
   Death, another dark theme some people don't always jump into when picking out a book. The Lovely Bones has become very popular recently due to the movie making, but if you've read it or seen the movie and can get over the concept that a dead girl is telling the story, then Gayle Forman's If I Stay is a good follow-uper. Have you ever come across a fork in the road or more importantly in life? Who hasn't???!!! If you haven't, I think you're lying to yourself....As adult's how hard is it to decide something that can change the whole course of your life, now imagine if you were on the brink of adulthood; when you're just starting to realize who you really are and where you want to go in life. Life is good at throwing curve balls when you don't need them, but somehow you live through it or survive it, and sometimes making those tough life decisions are going to cause you pain. Pain?! You're thinking why would anyone want to choose something that is going to cause pain to yourself, but it happens. When we get a cavity, we get it fixed. Sure, it's a little painful, but the overall end results leaves us pretty happy. Life decisions can be that way too. If I Stay is a really quick read and good story that centers on choosing those hard life choices because life is hard, life is not easy and it wasn't meant to be that way. 
  Elizabeth Scott's Living Dead Girl, I'm not sure how I feel about that book. I read it and felt shell shocked. This book is a young adult book too. It's a disturbing story is the best way I can put it without giving the story away. I read it fast, just because I needed to know what would happen at the end and it's short. Maybe, it would sit well with the young youth of today, because they're growing up with many horrors that I never had to. I think many young people would like this story and easily relate to that character--having to be forced or the feeling of being forced to do things that you don't want to do. The ending was not what I was looking for, but I'm glad the character did find their freedom. If you pick up this book, just be warned you may not like the direction it takes you. I still haven't decided if I like this book or not. Happy reading...

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well--R.W. Emerson

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment